How to find your blogging voice
Blogging in 2017 is no child’s play as the blogging world has become really competitive. It is either you know how to find your blogging voice and stand out or remain a struggling blogger. Having a unique blogging voice is what distinguishes between you and the next blogger. It is also the reason why people would want to consistently read your post. Ever heard someone say I love the way that girl writes her blog post? I always find her posts to be highly relatable. That’s a unique blogging voice at work.
How to find your blogging voice isn’t as easy as ABC but it can be pretty simple if you follow the tips below.
- Find your Niche: Blogging can be very overwhelming! There are tons of things to blog about; fashion, beauty, technology, business, lifestyle and the list is endless. As a blogger especially in the early stages, it can be difficult to know exactly what you want to blog about. It is, however, paramount that you figure out what you want so you don’t become a blogger of several niches and a master of none. See a detailed post on finding your niche here.
- Let your passion rule: It might be good, but do you love it?. There is a very huge difference when you do something you love. It is difficult to be happy with something you are not passionate about, you might do good in that field but there would always be the gap of discontent somewhere in your heart. To find your blogging voice, you have to be passionate about what you blog about.
- Have a purpose: Why am I blogging? what do I intend to achieve with my blog?. These are important questions you need to ask yourself if you really want to know how to find your blogging voice. You must have a purpose for blogging, this is what turns your blog into a platform. A blog with a purpose usually has more engagement because your readers already know what they stand to gain from your blog. There is a difference between your niche and your blog purpose. Niche is broad, purpose is narrow. while your blog niche can be fashion, your blog purpose is what you intend to give to your readers in relation to your niche which is fashion. It can be to show your fashion style, to give tips on how to be fashionable, fashion on a budget or a combination of all if you can handle it.
After figuring out the aforementioned, proceed to organise and develop your voice.
You can learn how to find your blogging voice and lose it afterwards if you do not properly organise and develop your blogging voice.
- Create a blog planner/guide: Most bloggers especially creatives do not plan their blog post, they just write whatever comes into their head. Such spontaneous habits can be a good thing but not always. To ensure you stay true to your blog’s niche, passion and purpose, you have to be organised content-wise. A good way to achieve this is a blog planner/guide where you can plan your blog contents. This way you can go through them and ensure you are true to your blog’s niche, passion and purpose. You can easily create a blog planner using Microsoft word or excel or you can simply DIY a blog planner. There are several resources on blog planning on the web, So this is the point where I say google is your friend.
- Be versatile: I would have said be creative but I believe creativity is already a feature for most bloggers. So, instead of creativity, versatility is more suitable for this point. As a blogger who wants to know how to find your blogging voice or retain it, you must learn to be an All-rounded. Equip yourself with knowledge of your blog niche. This will make you sound “fresh” and detailed in every post even if you have written things relating to it previously. Also, ensure you stay updated so you don’t end up dishing trends from a decade ago to your blog readers.
- Be Original: Stay true to yourself! I think the heading already speaks for itself. Do not try to imitate and sound like others as your voice is uniquely yours.
The tips above are pretty self-explanatory and are things you can easily implement. Now, do you agree with me that how to find your blogging voice can be easy with the right tips?
I hope you enjoyed reading this post as much as I enjoyed writing it. Don’t forget to leave your thoughts or questions in the comment section.
Love, Gift Collins.
Kudos Kudos Gift. As much as blogging requires creativity and passion, one needs to be organized and planning helps with that.
I love this piece.
Beautiful gift! I love this, a lot of people actually blog without a purpose, they don’t even have a real passion for what they are blogging about. Most are following the crowd, so their voices aren’t unique and many don’t understand that blogging, takes time and dedication. Really good posts, all your tips and points are spot on.